If you use Outlook for your contacts, email, or calendar, you know this is a great program to stay organized. Unfortunately when Outlook shutsdown incorrectly or there is a power outage and Outlook was closed suddenly it can become corrupted.
Outlook works with a PST file which contains all your data, calendar, contacts, and email. When the PST file gets corrupted outlook will refuse to open and it will show you a message similar to the one below.
Click to enlarge image
In this tip below I will show how to do the PST repair for Outlook 2003 and 2007
“disk drive” in the instructions below stand for your main local disk which is usually the letter “C”
OUTLOOK 2003 PST FIX
NOTE: The examples listed below refer to using the Inbox Repair Tool on a .pst file. The same procedures apply to an offline folder (.ost) file. To locate the offline folder (.ost) file, click to select Offline Folders (*.ost) in Select File to Scan.
The Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) is a tool designed to help repair problems associated with Personal Folder (.pst) files. The Scanost.exe tool is used to repair offline folder (.ost) files.
The Inbox Repair Tool installs automatically during setup. These programs are typically located in one of the following folders:
â€¢ disk drive :\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
â€¢ disk drive :\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033
For a 64-bit operating system, the programs are typically installed in one of the following folders:
â€¢ disk drive:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
â€¢ disk drive:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033
Run the Inbox Repair Tool
1. Click Start and point to Find, or Search, depending upon your operating system.
2. In the Search for files or folders named box, type scanpst.exe.
3. Double click the Scanpst.exe file to open the program.
4. Type the path and file name of the pst file, or click Browse to locate the file using the windows file system.
5. Click Start
OUTLOOK 2007 PST FIX
To work around this problem, use the Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) to repair your personal mail file. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Exit Outlook 2007.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click User Accounts and Family Safety or User Accounts.
Note If you do not see User Accounts and Family Safety or User Accounts, go to the next step.
4. Click Mail.
5. Click Data Files, click Personal Folders, and then click Settings.
6. Note the text in the Filename box.
Note If you cannot view all the text, click in the Filename box, and then press the RIGHT ARROW key repeatedly.
7. Click OK, and then click Close two times.
8. Click Start, type %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office12\ in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
9. Double-click Scanpst.
10. In the Enter the name of the file you want to scan box, type the path and file name of the Outlook .pst file that you noted in step 6.
11. Click Start.
12. When the Inbox Repair Tool finishes, click OK
If you do not have Outlook or have never tried it. Here is a link to the Microsoft website where you can download and try for free Outlook 2007 for 60days.