All over the Internet there is a buzz about the new ASUS EeePC 900. I was able to get my hands on one and give it a try. While the laptop has some fantastic features there is one misrepresented feature that makes the whole thing very sour. First I’m going to tell you the 8 top reasons that make this laptop great. Watch my video below for detailed information about this laptop. I have also put links below for pricing and where you can get this laptop.
- It has an awesome 8.5 screen which looks fantastic for a device this small
- It supports Linux or Windows XP Professional.
- Wireless 54G card and built in 10/100 network card are standard
- 1.3 Megapixel camera and microphone are also standard (great for video conferencing)
- 3 USB 2.0 Ports allows this computer to be very functional.
- Size and Weight are very good. It actually weighs about 2.2 lbs.
- Very portable, you can take it anywhere.
- Comes with a 1.3 megapixel camera and microphone built in – Great for video conferencing and creating videos on the fly.
- The mouse buttons on the laptop completely suck, they are very hard to Click on.
- The Hard drive advertised is a 20 Gigabyte Solid State Drive, this is not true. What you get is actually a 4 Gig Drive and a 16 Gig Drive. 2 completely separate hard drives and to make the whole thing worse, windows is installed by default in the 4 Gig drive which you will soon find yourself running out of space. The 4 Gig drive also performs faster than the 16 Gig drive. If you format the whole thing and install the operating system on the 16 Gig instead and boot from that, you will find a sluggish experience and things take very long to respond and work. They work fine on the 4 Gig drive which is faster.
It is my assumption and I’m sure yours will be the same that when something is advertised that it comes with a 20 Gig drive, then a 20 Gig drive is what should be there, not 2 separate drives with different response times. This is also the same for the 12 Gig Eeepc.
- Internal memory: 20 GB solid state disk – This is not true see video for more info
- Memory expansion: Slot for MMC/SD(SDHC) cards
- RAM: 1 GB DDR2
- Processor: 900 MHz Intel Mobile CPU
- Operating system: Linux (supports Windows XP)
- LCD: 8.9 inches, 1024 x 600 pixels
- Networking: 54g Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), 10/100 Fast Ethernet
- Peripheral connectivity: Three USB 2.0
- External video: One VGA
- External audio: One headphone and one microphone port
- Webcamera: Yes, 1.3 megapixels
- Battery life: up to 3.5 hours
- Weight: 2 pounds (32 ounces)
- Dimensions: 8.9 x 6.7 x 1.33 inches
Links where you can buy: